The Palais Beichlingen, called the British Hotel since 1844, was built between 1712 and 1715 as a town residence for Gottlob Count von Beichlingen and his brother, members of one of the richest aristocratic families in Saxony. The building plans for the palace were created by the well-known Dresden builder George Haase and the architect of the Frauenkirche, George Bähr, as a collaborative work. Before its destruction in February 1945, the Dresden Neumarkt had been a self-contained heritage area of bourgeois Baroque architecture of European rank, crowned by the Dresden Frauenkirche. The British Hotel also fell victim to the bombings shortly before the end of the war. The reconstruction of the Frauenkirche, which began in the 1990s, established the development towards restoring the distinctive cityscape. Today, the new Dresden British Hotel is once gain located next to the Frauenkirche and is a historically faithful reconstruction of one of the most important palaces of aristocracy in Dresden – complemented by contemporary extensions around a central courtyard.
The design concept for the Neumarkt formed the basis for all further planning. The key criteria were:
Inclusion of the historical city plan based on historical cadastral plans
The scale of the buildings
Reconstruction of landmark buildings and façades on the basis of exact documentation, archaeological findings and preserved heritage sites in connection with buildings in contemporary architecture.
By successfully combining Baroque and contemporary architecture, a building with an exceptional atmosphere and the comfort of a 4-star hotel was created. The completed British Hotel has 38 apartments of various sizes – these are spread over the historic part of the building, the reconstructed façade of which faces the Frauenkirche, and three other parts of the building that surround the courtyard in contemporary architectural design. We used arcades that primarily fulfil safety-related functions as design elements to give the small intimate courtyard a lively structure. The lobby located on the ground floor was rebuilt in the original size with a cross vault and a stone floor. From here, the small courtyard and the two shops located on the ground floor are visible through large glazing.